Larking, L.B. and Kemble, J.M. 1857 The Knights Hospitallers in England Camden Society, 84-86
Page, William 1907 'House of Knights Hospitaller: Preceptory of Battisford', A Victoria History of the County of Suffolk: Volume 2 , pp. 120-121.
1989 'Archaeology in Suffolk 1988' Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History 37/1989/1:70
1990 'Archaeology in Suffolk 1989' Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History 37/1990/2:158
1990 'Excursion 1st July 1989' Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History 37/1990/2:170-171
Limited archaeological investigations were carried out by the Suffolk Archaeology Unit in 1988 and 1989 and although these have never been published in full summary accounts did appear in the Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute for Archaeology and History in 1989 and 1990. Most of the features excavated consisted of brick-built cellars to the south of the existing house and appear to date from a late phase in the history of the preceptory, although mention is also made of a flint rubble wall and adjoining floor surface of 12th century date.
The house currently occupying the site and known as St John's Manor House, dates from the late 16th century. However, a structural survey undertaken at the time of the archaeological work identified a 'great many timbers' taken from an older house, including a number of soot stained rafters. These imply an open hall; probably the 1338 manerium.