In 1252 Simon de Montfort granted land at Beaumont Leys to the Knights Templar for a preceptory. With the dissolution of that Order in 1312 the establishment was granted to the Knights Hospitaller who maintained it as a camera until 1482.
BEAUMONT LEYS IN 1338
Beaumont is listed in the Extent as a member of the Bajulia de Dalby and no specific details are provided other than the usual valuations of land and rents. However, from a careful reading of the Dalby reprise it can be established that there was a bailiff at Beaumont and other servants managing the woodland there at an expenditure of 52 shillings a year. There is also a note of 20 shillings a year spent on repairing the house at Beaumont.
BEAUMONT LEYS CAMERA; documents
BEAUMONT LEYS CAMERA; archaeology
BEAUMONT LEYS CAMERA, LEICESTERSHIRE (NHLE 1009196)
The site consists of a sub-rectangular enclosure measuring 200 x 150m formed by a bank measuring up to 1.5m high and an outer ditch about 0.5m deep. Internally there are two raised areas about 1m high and 12m in diameter. These may mark the positions of destroyed buildings. To the east and parallel to the enclosure is a further bank and ditch running north-south for a distance of about 300m.
A stream situated to the west of the enclosure was dammed to the north to form a large fishpond. This dam, which measures up to 3m high and 8m wide, is about 100m long. A division in the centre marks the site of a sluice gate. The fishpond appears to have measured about 100m by 75m and contained a small island used for breeding water-fowl.
The remains of the Beaumont Leys Camera (SK56500926) lie about 6 km to the north-west of Leicester city centre. They are situated on a small plateau known as Castle Hill which falls away steeply on the north, west and south sides. They consist of an earthwork enclosure and remains of a fishpond. They are scheduled as an Ancient Monument (1009196).
Larking, L.B. and Kemble, J.M. 1857 The Knights Hospitallers in England Camden Society, 63-65