Swingfield Chapel 1905
The last of this series of historic images is a photograph published in 1905. Although the chapel can be clearly identified the other buildings shown are not those in the early 19th century drawings. Large scale OS maps are available for Swingfiueld from the 1870s. The 1873/4 1:2500 map shows simply the chapel and the porch to the north. The manor house shown to the west of the chapel in the late 18th and early 19th illustrations had been demolished by then and the additional structures shown in the 1905 photograph had not yet been built. They had been built by 1898 as they are shown of the 1:2500 map of that date. These were the structures demolished by the Office or Works when the chapel was placed in Guadianship in the early 1970s.
This simple etching, although undated, is thought to show the north-east aspect of the chapel and porch in the early 19th century. This does bare some comparison with the 1794 watercolour but the east gable of the manor house is shown as a simple gable rather than hipped.
These two illustrations, dating from 1806 and 1807 show the preceptory building from the south-east. In both the east end of the chapel is given prominence and both illustrate the outshuts on the south side. Both also show the manor house with a simple gabled roof whereas the 1794 watercolour suggests this was a hipped roof.
The remains at Swingfield have been recorded in a series of illustrations spanning the last 220 years the first of which is as watercolour drawing, unsigned but dating from 1794. This, viewed from the north, shows the chapel on the left and the adjoining post-dissolution manor house on the right, with the two storey medieval porch inbetween. It is difficult to reconcile this image with either the description in the 1529 itinerary or two further drawings produced a decade later.